Frequently Asked Questions
Review the most commonly asked questions about our indoor and outdoor self-storage services.
How long do I have to rent?
The lease is month-to-month and there is no minimum stay. You can move out at your convenience at any point. Your need for storage may be short-term or long-term:
- To rotate seasonal and seldom-used items in and out of the storage unit – keeping your home or garage free from clutter
- During a move to allow you to unpack at your leisure, without the stress of boxes and clutter
- During renovations or life transitions
When can I access my storage unit?
We offer 24-hour access, so you can come and go at your convenience.
What kind of documentation do I need to rent storage?
All you need is a valid driver’s license.
How can I pay my rent?
Initially you will need to come into the office and establish your payment option: cash, cheque, debit or credit card.
How can I get the most from my storage space?
- Protect furniture and mattresses with specially designed plastic covers. Place a pallet, cardboard mat or plastic sheet on the floor and stand sofas and mattresses on end.
- Appliances, such as refrigerators or freezers should be thoroughly dry and stored with doors slightly ajar. Cartons can be stacked on top of stoves, refrigerators and freezers.
- Use uniform sizes of boxes and stack them shoulder high to maximize your total storage space.
- Take time when packing dishes and glasses. Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of cartons. Plates and glasses should be wrapped individually. It’s best to stack plates on edge.
- Store mirrors, window, and screens on edge not flat. Crate them in a mirror pack if possible or package them individually with strong cardboard. Mark them “fragile” so they won’t accidentally be bumped.
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes, seal them with tape.
- Wipe the surfaces of bicycles, tools, and other metal items with a slightly oily rag to retard rust.
- Place frequently used items near the door and leave a walkway to the rear of the space.
- Make a complete list of all goods stored, including brand names, product features, and serial numbers. Keep a list, photos, or videotape of your stored goods in a safe place away from the storage space
Do you offer outdoor storage?
Fully fenced outdoor parking is available and can accommodate RVs, large boats and more. Call the office for more details.
What documentation do I need to store my vehicle?
In addition to a valid driver’s license, you will need to provide a copy of the title, registration and current insurance to place a car, truck. RV, motorcycle or any other vehicle in storage. Any vehicle placed in storage should be in running condition.
Should the gas tank be full or next to empty?
Vehicles should be parked and stored with as little gas in the tank as possible. Allowing old gas to sit in the tank may be harmful for a vehicle and an empty tank reduces fire hazards.
List your home for sale with Shackleton’s and we will give you a storage locker at no charge for the term of the listing (minimum 60 day listing). This is a great opportunity to de-clutter your home so it shows its best. Alternatively, if you buy a home through Shackleton’s we will provide you with a storage locker for a 60 day period at no charge. We want to make your move as stress free as possible and that added storage will ease the transition of moving.This offer is subject to availability.